A Haven for Filipino Teachers

Sunday, August 22, 2010

This article written by Benito Vacio at ajarn.com about agencies in Bangkok that hire Filipinos is a must read not just for Pinoys alone but to other nationalities as well. I would like to thank Ben for posting this very informative article. Than you Ben!

Are you a newcomer to Thailand looking for an English teaching job or have you been idle here in the country for quite a time? How far have you gone with your job hunting? Do you know of any places where Filipino teachers are marketable? 

To boost your morale a little, let me cite you an inspiring incident in one of the training seminars I  attended when I was a Thai university student. The seminar emcee asked, "Have I learned from my Filipino teachers?" He answered his own question. "Yes, I learned a lot from my Filipino teachers." Similarly, he asked, "Have I learned from my native English teachers?" He answered, "Yes. I learned a lot from my English native teachers."

By this comment, one can assume that Filipino teachers are as good as native speakers. That's why Filipino teachers should also have their place in the "Land of Smiles." While native speakers have native accents, Filipino teachers have good teaching methodologies and students can learn a lot from that.
However, if Filipino teachers receive adulation from Thai students, I can't help wondering why qualified Filipino teachers are not preferred. Why are they not given the opportunity to teach in some schools in Thailand? Why are they not getting jobs?

Being unemployed in a foreign country can be a soul-destroying experience. It can dampen your spirit, make one impoverished, lead to boredom, and worst of all, force one to go back to the Philippines feeling 'a failure'.
I have heard numerous stories from Filipinos who have been unemployed for long periods and forced to live with friends. They apply to schools as walk-in applicants, but are often told, "We will call you when something comes up"

Teachers at the brink of despair must never give up. There is always hope. There is still a way. Get some ideas from this blog. It's all about applying to the right place, the right school, or the right agency.
Having been jobless for 3 months myself, I too have experienced what it's like to be unemployed in Thailand. The only difference I guess is that I have a lot of Thai friends , an American friend, a brother abroad, and they are always there to help me with finances. Then there's my wife and daughter who support me in my decisions. That's why I would like to present a list of agencies I consider to be the best places for employment. As Survivor, the American rock band says, "The Search is Over."

Here are some agencies which employ Filipino teachers at present:

1. Chulalongkorn University
Office of Research and Academic Services
2nd Floor,Buildidng 3, Faculty of Education
Chulalongkorn University,Phayathai Road,
Bangkok 10330
E-Mail - resch_acadser@chula.ac.th
Tel. - 022182549-50/0816856788

2. Ramkamhaeng University
Institute of Languages/ Nonthaburi English Teachers Project Ramkamhaeng Road
Email -www.rl.ru.ac.th/ntp
Tel.- 0891657342

3. Asia Computer and Language
Soi 42 Nawamin Road, Bangkapi
E-Mail -nuchnoy_2@hotmail.com
Tel. - 023755939

4. The Nature Method Language Institute
174 Prasumen Road,
Banglumpoo, Bangkok
Tel. - 022829646, 02281160

5. English Math and Science (EMS)
In front of Don Muang Airport
E-Mail- ems@inbox.com
Tel. - 0812062298

6. Institute of Language and Information Technology (ILIT)
Soi 20 Patanakan, Bangkok
Tel. - 0816196602

7. Mind Research Consultant
Tel. - 0890622796

Each agency has different sets of procedures and requirements. Just prepare all your credentials when you apply, including your ID pictures. Be ready with some teaching materials too, because a number of agencies require 5-10 minute teaching demonstration.

The salary may not be that great at first (except for agencies 1 and 2) but staying with an agency is always a good move. Many agencies assign teachers to schools in Bangkok, but other agents assign teachers to institutes in the nearby provinces. Wherever it is - give it a try. You can stay in the provinces temporarily and go to the city later when you have the chance.

There are reasons why Filipino teachers can't get a job. One reason is they bark up the wrong tree. I say this because they apply to schools that only employ native speakers at the request of their customers (generally the fee-paying parents). Another reason could be wrong timing. Perhaps the teacher has come to Thailand at an inopportune time - maybe in the middle of a term when very little hiring is done.
Once you're hired by the agency and assigned to a certain school, do your best all the time. "Live each day as if it were your last" and you will be successful.

Good luck in your job search and may you find your 'haven' in the agencies I have listed.

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Best Selling Books