Our Apology

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The hostage crisis in Manila on August 23, 2010 became a mirror of the incompetence of our police officers. Nine people were killed including the hostage taker himself who was shot by the snipers lurking nearby. The once proud nation is now being eyed as a dangerous place to travel, and a hot topic of ridicule in social networking sites.

I cannot blame these people getting mad at Filipinos. I, for one would be mad if this will happen to my fellow kababayans (I hope it won't). However, I would like to point out that Filipinos as a whole are sympathetic to the victims, peace loving, and are not into violence. 

The entire people of the Philippines are grieving. Our heart goes out to the families of the victims and to those who were affected of this tragic event.

I also want to share a letter written by a high school student in Samar, Philippines about his feelings after the tragedy.

As you are reading this letter, I bet that you have seen or heard about what happened earlier in our country. A group of tourists was taken hostage by a policeman named Rolando Mendoza. After a few hours, some of the victims were dead and the hostage-taker too.

I wrote this letter not just to apologize but also to let everyone know that we Filipinos are not all like Mendoza. We are loving and good-hearted people.

For so many years, our country has been standing tall and overcoming every dilemma; be it small or big. Years ago (before I was born), you have watched us fight for what we think is right. We fought for the democracy of our nation.. The EDSA revolution. But that's just one out of many struggles.

Second, we Filipinos have been serving in other countries for the benefit of our families and we treat you as our own as well. With all due respect, I thank you all for giving us the trust through the years. For helping us to become what we are now. The Philippines is more than just a group of islands. We are a nation of strong and remarkable people. A country of beauty and love known to be hospitable and well-valued. I humbly apologize for what happened. No one in this world would want something like that to happen. Life should be valued.

I politely ask for the attention of the world. Please do not judge and mistreat us just because of what happened tonight. I have been searching the net and uncovered terrible words and accusations. Hong Kong has advised its people to avoid traveling here, China and HK has banned Filipinos and has called for The Philippines to be considered a no-go zone.

I can't blame you for what you have decided but I wish you could understand. Our country is now drowning in a sea of problems. And I know for sure that we have helped you in a way or another. Let peace and understanding reign at this time.

I know that this letter will just become trash but I beg you to understand. On behalf of the Philippine population.. WE ARE SORRY. As one song puts it...

"And I believe that in my life I will see an end to hopelessness, giving-up and suffering. And we all stand together this one time then no one will get left behind. Stand up for life. STAND UP FOR LOVE."

Sincerely yours,
 
Reigno Jose Dilao
Catbalogan City, Samar
(End of Letter)


Related Post Deo Onda

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Best Selling Books